Hunting for squirrels can be a ton of fun, especially when using a squirrel call.
A squirrel call is any type of device that can mimic the natural sounds made by squirrels. The most popular type of squirrel call is made with a reed and bellow, but there are other variations on the market as well.
Some hunters even prefer to make their own squirrel call out of either two quarters, some lemongrass, or by using their mouth! I’m sure you can find plenty of other DIY methods on the internet as well.
However, if you would rather purchase a squirrel call instead — then I’ve reviewed 4 of the best squirrel calls for hunting squirrels. Let’s delve into those reviews below.
Best Squirrel Calls for Hunting
I’ve gone ahead and reviewed 4 of the most popular squirrel calls on the market to help you find the best squirrel call for your hard-earned money. Here’s my review on each squirrel call.
Primos Squirrel Buster
The Primos Squirrel Buster is by far the most popular squirrel call currently available.
What makes the Squirrel Buster so popular is two reasons: it’s highly affordable and it attracts squirrels!
Does it sound exactly like a grey or fox squirrel?
But it does a great job for how much it costs and the distress call seems to work great if you use it correctly. I recommend kicking some leaves around on the ground to mimic the sound of a squirrel attack before using the distress call.
This will invoke any nearby squirrels to act on their natural instincts and hopefully come running to help. And even if they don’t come out to help, they’ll at least come running out of their hiding hole to see what’s going on.
Kind of similar to how high school kids come running out of their classrooms because they hear the sounds of a fight going on nearby. They might not be coming to help, but they can’t help but watch what’s happening.
After all, what else does a squirrel have to do all day?
The Primos Squirrel Buster can also be used to mimic alarm barking, grey squirrel chatter, and fox squirrel chatter.
Press down on the bellow with your hand or thumb to mimic squirrel barks and shake the bellow back and forth (holding the tube-end) to mimic chatter. Leave the mouth-end of the tube open to mimic grey squirrels and lightly cover the end of the tube with your hand to mimic fox squirrels. Do the same when simulating the squirrel bark as well.
- Quality materials used for all primos products
- 100 percent designed and tested for the toughest situations and environments
- Whether you are a professional, recreational user, or even casual, primos will fit the mold for all types of people
- Reproduces the calls of Gray and Fox Squirrels
- alarm bark, distress scream, grey squirrel chatter, grey squirrel squeal, and fox squirrel chatter
- "Shaker" style call is easy to use
The Haydel’s DS-85 utilizes the same reed and bellow style design used by many of the other squirrel calls on the market. However, this squirrel call from Haydel’s is a bit smaller than most of its competition.
The smaller size can be an advantage as it can make it easier to place and hold this squirrel call in your pocket, whereas other models would fit better in maybe a coat pocket or a backpack. Maybe even a fanny pack if that’s more your style.
The Haydel’s DS-85 has a similar sound to that of the Primos Squirrel Buster, although the DS-85 is a bit higher pitched. The distress call from the DS-85 and Squirrel Buster are much closer in decibel rating.
My ears aren’t the best but I believe the distress call from the DS-85 is still higher pitched.
- VERSITILE - Combo pack simulates the distress cries of both fox and grays with the DS-85 also having a barking feature!
- The DS-85 Squirrel Call. Deluxe 3-in-1 Squirrel emits the bark or chatter of the Bushy-tail. Blowing moderately into the exhaust barrel gives the cry of Grey Squirrels. Blowing 5 panicky notes creates the high-pitched cries of a baby in distress.
- The SW-92 "Mr. Squirrel Whistle" Call. Imitates the distress call of a young squirrel. It works! Excites squirrels, makes them bark and, at times move toward your location.
- Made in the USA.
- 100% GUARANTEED! Either you’re thrilled, and Love this Squirrel Calls, or You Get Your Money Back!
Haydel’s Mr.Squirrel Whistle
Unlike the other squirrel calls on this list, the Mr.Squirrel Whistle from Haydel’s can only mimic the sound of a distressed squirrel.
Simply hold the Mr.Squirrel Whistle up to your mouth and inhale in short bursts to mimic the sound of a baby or hurt squirrel in distress. Remember to whip the ground with a stick or piece of brush as you mimic the distress call to make it more believable to other squirrels.
This distress call from the Mr.Squirrel Whistle does sound a little bit different than the other squirrel calls I’ve reviewed, but I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
I know some squirrel hunters are big fans of this type of squirrel call, but I personally thought the reed and bellow squirrel calls were a bit more realistic to what a squirrel sounds like when in distress. You can watch the video I included with this review to judge for yourself.
- Imitates The Distress Call Of A Young Squirrel
- It Works! Excites Squirrels
- Makes Them Bark And, At Times Move Toward Your Location
- Inhale on the call making 5 panicky notes. This creates the high-pitched cries of a baby squirrel in distress
- 100% GUARANTEED! Either you’re thrilled, and Love this this Squirrel Call, or You Get Your Money Back!
Bayou Legacy Harvester
Out of all the squirrel calls I reviewed, the Bayou Legacy Harvester was by far the most expensive.
For the same price, you could afford both of the squirrel calls from Haydel’s or two of the Primos Squirrel Buster’s. And to be honest, as much as I wanted to love the Legacy Harvester (mainly because I spent so much on it) I just couldn’t.
The advantage of using the Bayou Legacy Harvester is you can make a “barking noise” without having to press down onto a bellow or shake it back and forth, but that’s really about it. The sound it makes sounds more like one of those party horns you would get at your 7-year-old nephew’s birthday party than what you would expect from a squirrel call.
You’re best off choosing one of the other options. Sorry Bayou.